Saturday, October 15, 2011

Millet for Breakfast

When the fall weather hits, I am a sucker for a nice warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Unfortunately, oats are now one of those items on the "Do Not Eat" list for me, along with casein, gluten, and *gasp* chocolate. We have tried a few different items to fill the void that is left in our breakfast menus. Cream of Rice was one of our favorites, but I was not really happy about adding even more rice to our diet since that is now the grain we eat most frequently. What can I say....I am always just on the lookout for something new.

A few weeks ago I was hanging out at the library while the big kids were in their chess club. I was talking to one of the moms that I know from homeschooling activities in the area, and she mentioned that her daughter had made millet for breakfast. We have had millet flour mixed into baked goods, but I had never thought to eat it as a whole grain. I was pretty interested at that point. Millet went on my shopping list.

Cooking millet is pretty simple. I picked up a little instruction card when I bought the millet that said to simmer 2 cups water and 1/2 cup millet for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. I am still wondering if I could make it in my rice cooker....I bet I could.

I did find that the required 2 cups of water was not enough in my opinion. The millet still had a rather dry texture to it, so I added an additional cup of water and let it simmer a bit longer. When dished up, we added almond milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the millet. It was more filling than I had expected, so no one except for Squirt actually finished theirs, but they all assured me it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment