Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

It is nearing 11:00 here, and the kids are all nestled into their beds. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year, and I hope you did too. We ended up having a Thanksgiving at home with just me, Brady, and our kids. While I do enjoy seeing all my extended family most years, it was very nice to spend the day with Brady and the kids. I was on my feet most of the day in the kitchen, and by the time dinner was nearly finished I was getting quite tired of it, but everything turned out wonderful. Brady prepared the ham on the Trauger smoker, along with some Jerusalem artichokes that he harvested today, and I prepared mashed potatoes and gravy, baked sweet potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, rolls, and pumpkin pie. It was all from scratch, completely gluten and dairy free, and delicious. We did not have a turkey, but opted for a ham. For some reason, ever since my pregnancy with Princess, the smell of turkey is very unappealing to me, so I had no problem at all eating ham for my Thanksgiving dinner.

I did a lot of thinking about all that I am thankful for while I cooked and washed dishes today. Even though the meal took me a very long time to prepare, I could not help but think how much longer and more difficult it could have been. For one thing, I am thankful that I have a home with a sink and a faucet that instantly brings water (hot or cold!) right into my kitchen without me having to haul it in.

So on this day of thanks, I tried to not only be thankful for my husband and children, but for all the messes that they bring as well. I am thankful for the dirty dishes, because they mean that we have been able to feed our children and ourselves. I am thankful for the ever present laundry, because it means everyone has enough clothing to keep them warm. I am thankful for the constant scattering of books and toys in my home, because it means my children are here and they are safe, and that we have a home to live in.  Some days, I do find it very hard to be thankful for these things, so it helps to take a step back and really appreciate the wonderful life I have.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment